Tuesday, June 5, 2012

celebrate you.

Lesson number 2: Celebrate your accomplishments.

I know this seems like a "duh" moment sort of post, but you would be amazed at how many people fail to recognize their own greatness.

I spent my weekend celebrating a friend's great achievement: graduating High School. A feat I accomplished literally 11 years ago. Let me just tell you, going to a Graduation is a lot like going to a wedding; you end up thinking about yourself; reflecting on your experiences and life. I found myself asking, if I could switch places and be here again, would I? Knowing what I know now, would I want it all in front of me again? If I did, what would I change? Everything? Nothing? And then I realized I was missing the point.

We have this one life; and all the things we do in it determines who we are and ultimately how our lives unfold. We can't spend these moments wishing we had done something differently; we have to just celebrate all that we do, which makes us who we are. It's not about rewriting your past, or about empty "coulda woulda shouldas", It's about celebrating the accomplishments you have achieved; perfect or not.

Graduating High School. Losing weight. Getting married. Getting your dream job (or 5 of them). Finding yourself. Finding Love. Making a discovery. Graduating College. Getting your Master's. Having a baby. Raising a family. Surviving everyday at work. Risking your life for your country. Contributing to Society. Rising above your life predictions.  Understanding your loved one. Realizing every action you take changes you into something slightly different than before said action.

These are all accomplishments. All different and yet necessary in their own right. Life goes so fast, if you don't take the time to appreciate all that you do to make it your own life, you risk ending up with a life full of regret. And we all have achieved way too much for that.

1 comment: